Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Can it be done? Can I make healthy AND delicious bread?

My bread quest has morphed a bit; I want HEALTHY fabulous bread! Okay, switch to wheat, right? Easier said than done. I can make a fabulous loaf of white bread, crusty goodness. I can make a healthy loaf of wheat bread, the kind that makes you want to buy Birkenstocks. Here's the dilemma, I want it all! I tried making the mixed loaf (wheat and white) and it's okay, but the crust gets really hard and the crumb (the inside) isn't light and fluffy in the slightest. It's hearty. Healthy? Yes. But makes me feel like I'm homesteading. So I tried making the loaf pan style (vs. freestyle on the stone) and the same result. Not to mention, you have to eat it fast; about 4 days in I could use that loaf for self defense. Not good. So now I'm trying a straight wheat loaf, but with olive oil and freestyle on the stone. Fingers crossed, breath not held. It's a real dilemma I'm struggling with. Is whole wheat really that much better than white? I've read and read and the answer seems to be an unequivocal yes. Publix makes an incredible wheat loaf, so I'm telling myself this must be possible, yes? Then I keep reading online only to find out it's likely only part wheat and has lots of goodies (seeds, oats, etc) thrown in to make it look healthier. Probably has a bit of sugar in it too! Ahh....is there hope? Do we eat healthy enough elsewhere to just have the yummy white bread when I feel like baking? 


Later.... I made the wheat olive oil bread- YUM! Hoorah! Hoorah! I think I need to just find a middle ground. Sometimes make one, sometimes make another. I've been eating white flour my whole life and seem to be okay, I just get caught up in my quest for what, invincibility? Here are some pictures of the wheat/olive oil bread (the kids love it too, bonus!)
Olive oil bread getting ready to "rest"


Crusty goodness!

Smooth inside, very tasty and soft!

No comments:

Post a Comment