Sunday, October 24, 2010

A movie I want to watch? With my kids? Can it be??

Tonight I watched Singing in the Rain with my 4 year old. At then end she asked me if we could buy it (we Netflixed it.) Can this be true? After watching Nemo 10,000 times (give or take 5) and I love Nemo, don't get me wrong, I found a personal limit. We have a family movie night in our house where we pop some corn, have a juice box or two and pop in a flick, but it was hard to find something we both genuinely wanted to see. Okay, it was hard to find something I actually wanted to see that she would go for as well.
The Best Old Movies for Families: A Guide to Watching Together
I came across an article years back about a book written by a dad that was in a similar boat and looked into and actually bought it for the day our kids were old enough. Totally forgot about it. Came across it on the bookshelf the other day, and found a whole list of books organized by age and listing subject material that might come up! The first suggestion was Errol Flynn's Robin Hood and I really didn't think it'd fly with her. But I gave it a good intro (Lady Marrion was like the cousin of a princess, good guys, bad guys, etc.) and she agreed. She loved it! So tonight we tried some Gene Kelly and it was a huge hit! I had to explain a few things, but I always do and there was nothing I had to "explain away" (negative), lots of great music, dancing and fun! We both enjoyed movie night! I love this book and so I must share it! I can't wait to open it up and see what's next to queue!

1 comment:

  1. Gus loves Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Oklahoma! I guess it's the music. I'm going to show him Singing in the Rain soon. I will keep an eye out for that book! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete